GVC June Ultimate Driving School XCIX
Instructor Training School
Bimmerworld BMW CCA Club Race School
Watkins Glen International
GVC’s 99th Ultimate Driving School, the second of four GVC HPDE events at the Glen in 2018. This event is unique among this year's offerings, in that it is actually three schools wrapped into one weekend.
First, there is our traditional GVC HP driving school, which offers intensive in-car and classroom instruction on the art and science of high-performance driving.
- There are three separate run groups for Beginner/Novice (<4 schools), Intermediate, and Advanced students, each limited to 30-35 drivers. Run group assignments are based primarily on experience and prior evaluations (if any, including SLIP ratings), and secondarily on vehicle performance.
- Each student is assigned a highly-trained and experienced in-car instructor familiar with the performance characteristics of the student’s vehicle. This one-on-one instructional format is arguably the most important feature of our HPDE program.
Second, GVC is offering our first ever Bimmerworld BMW CCA Club Racing School at this event.
The Bimmerworld CRS is a challenging and fun track experience. Though the ultimate goal of the school is to recruit new racers to BMW Club Racing, you don’t have to drive a BMW, or have a race-prepared car, driving suit, or race harness to participate. Any vehicle that passes tech for our driving school is adequate for the CR School. Completion of the CRS does not automatically qualify you for a BMW CCA Club Racing license, but if you have the experience and meet the other requirements, you will be eligible for a rookie license, and the opportunity to join the ranks of BMW CCA Club Racing, which many consider to have the finest club racing level drivers in North America.
The CRS was brought in specifically at the bequest of our Group S drivers, who have expressed strong interest in taking it. However, to insure sufficient participation to cover the additional costs of holding a CRS, upper-level intermediate and advanced students, as well as instructors, are also welcome to apply.
Group S members, PLEASE READ: There is no separate open-track Group S program at this event. In its place, GS drivers have three options: 1) Sign up for the Club Race School. The two-day CRS fee is the same as we charged last year for a normal three-day GS weekend. You have the option to add the open-track day on Friday for the bargain price of $100. Alternatively, 2) sign up as an Advanced student for the weekend. As a GS driver running in Group 2, you are signed off by default to run without an instructor, and will be able to add sessions in the instructor group for $50 per session (payable at the track). 3) Friday open-track only for $210.
To read more about the CR school, please use this link to the BMW Club Racing website: Bimmerworld Club Race School
Note: Even though the Club Race School is integrated with GVC's driving school, registration for CRS is managed on a different msreg site.
To register for CRS, please use this link: GVC Bimmerworld BMW CCA Club Racing School
Last, but certainly not least, we are proud to host another BMW CCA Instructor Training School.
The BMW CCA ITS program, first developed by GVC, has recently been certified by the Motorsport Safety Foundation, and those candidates that successfully pass the course become nationally certified Level 2 HPDE Instructors. Candidates work with top-level ITS mentors who role-play as students of different temperaments and skill levels during a series of intensive on-track exercises. The school provides all the required ITS manuals and classroom sessions needed to become a nationally certified BMW CCA Instructor. Applicants must obtain recommendations from Chief Instructor(s), and demonstrate excellent driving skills to complement their instructional abilities.
If you think you’d like to become an instructor, start by filling out the ITS Application. For additional information, and to apply for ITS at this event, please contact GVC's ITS Chief Instructor, Ken Buschner.
Friday -- Includes the following groups:
- Instructors(Group 0)
- Club Race School(Group 1)
- Group S drivers with Friday add-on option.
- Instructor Training School (Group 5)
Saturday and Sunday -- On-track rotation of the following run groups
- Group 4: Novice (D; SLIP L1). Drivers with <4 previous driving schools
- Group 3: Intermediate (C, less experienced B; SLIP L2 – L3)
- Group 2: Advanced (more experienced B and A students, as well as Group S; SLIP L3 and up)
- Group 1: Club Race School (Intermediate to instructor level, L3/4 and up)
- Group 0: Instructors (Expert; SLIP L5 and up)
Schedule (Saturday and Sunday):
- Track goes “green” at 8:30 AM each day. Final checker at 4:30 PM Friday and Sunday, extended hours to 5:30 PM Saturday.
- Lunch break: 12 – 1 PM each day.
- Weekend track sessions (per day, ~25 min. each). NOTE: the number and length of track sessions depend upon track conditions. Stoppages due to breakdowns, accidents and other situations may require changes in the schedule.
- Groups 2, 3 and 4: Five sessions, with the option to pay for additional track sessions with Group 2 or instructors ($50 per session, pay at event; space permitting).
- Club Race: 4-5 sessions.
- Instructors: Three sessions minimum; additional sessions combined with student run groups may be scheduled (space permitting*).
*Note: Because many participants leave early, run groups may be combined on Sunday afternoon to provide more track time than scheduled.
Group Exercises (Groups 2-4)
- Organized run group exercises are done for the first ten minutes in one or more sessions each day, typically at reduced speeds for safety.
- Exercises include close-quarters (side-by-side) lapping in traffic, pair-wise passing, braking into corners, and others.
- Groups 2 – 4 attend three 30-45 minute-long classroom sessions each day, led by a senior instructor
- Club Race (Group 1): Class sessions may include group debriefing after on-track exercises, and more general topics such as race car preparation, racing techniques, upcoming on-track race traffic simulations, practice starts, etc.
- After-hours car-pool tour of the track led by Classroom instructor(s).
- Stops at selected corners to inspect the track on foot, discuss braking points, driving lines, cornering techniques, etc.
- 5:30 – 6:30 Saturday only, weather permitting.
Bonus Features (complimentary unless otherwise noted)
- GVC Driver’s Resource Center: Helpful advice and assistance for all participants at the track. Free water to all participants for the weekend.
- GVC event shirts for all drivers and instructors.
- Garage Social: Light legal beverages and snacks provided. Open to all, participants are encouraged to BYOB for tastings.
- Tire and performance parts auctions offered by our generous sponsors.
- Friendly and helpful GVC staff to make this truly the “Ultimate Driving School”.
Please visit the GVC website for complete details about our HP driving schools:
Registration and Fees:
- Members: GVC chapter members are afforded highest priority for slots at our events, followed by BMW CCA members from other chapters.
- Non-Members: Non-members are charged an additional $100 above member fees, and are last to be accepted from a waiting list.
GVC will use $48 of the non-member fee pay for a one-year new (or renewed) membership in BMW CCA.
Join today to register early and avoid the $100 non-member surcharge! http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=new_member
- Registration after the deadline is only possible by special arrangement, and only if there are still seats available, or late cancelations (call or email the Registrar: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Advanced and Group S drivers (G2), intermediate (G3), and novice students (G4): $510 (two-day school). Non-members: $610
- Club Race School (G1): $675 (Friday-Saturday); Non-members: $800. Friday add-on $100.
- Instructors (includes shared garage access for the weekend):
- Friday - Sunday: $100. Includes Friday Orientation Day, three sessions each day Sat and Sun.
- Fri - Sun., sharing a vehicle: $50
- Sat - Sun only (no open track): $35
- Group S drivers, Friday open track, one day only: $210.
"Bring a Friend" Discount
Any registrant who brings a “new to the club” friend with them to the track as a school participant will receive either a $75 credit for use at any future GVC event, OR a free half-bay garage space for the weekend at the event. This discount is open to all students and instructors.
- Fees are fully refundable before the deadline.
- Fees may be credited toward a future GVC Driving School.
- No refund or credit after the registration deadline.
The host hotel is the historic Seneca Lodge (http://www.senecalodge.com/) located at the upper entrance to beautiful Watkins Glen State Park off NY 329. The Lodge is famous for its food and racing heritage. The bar is notable for its collection of over 60 years of racing memorabliia, as well as an extensive selection of fine beverages. Another favorite place to stay very close to the track is the Falls Motel in nearby Montour Falls. http://www.thefallsmotel.com. These lodgings fill quickly, so make reservations early.
Many other accommodations are available in Watkins Glen, from cozy bed-and-breakfasts to the luxurious Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel.
Camping at the track: Not available.
Off-site camping: Available at nearby Watkins Glen State Park and at other private campgrounds.
For more information, please consult our website: http://gvc-bmwcca.org/Info_About_Watkins_Glen