GVC Novice Driving School
Start your week with a great, low pressure, good time HP driving event at the Glen
GVC’s HPDE #108 is one of three GVC events at the Glen in 2021. We offer intensive on-track and classroom instruction on the theory and practice of high-performance driving to drivers at all skill levels.
- Hone your driving skills on the track with a highly-trained and experienced instructor familiar with the performance characteristics of your car. This personalized instructional format is arguably the most important feature of our HPDE program.
- Novice students (GVC Run Group 4) will drive with their instructors in four separate ~30 min. track sessions each day.
- Between sessions, meet with fellow drivers in your run group with a certified classrom instructor for interactive presentations on the theory and practice of high-performance driving.
- Open lappers
- Open-lappers are free to drive the track at any time except during novice sessions. Traffic will be limited to 30-35 drivers on track at any given time to reduce crowding.
- All standard BMW CCA safety protocols and passing rules will be in effect.
- Instructors will be made available to open-lappers new to the track by special arrangement with the Chief Instructor.
GVC offers Advanced Data Coaching to a limited number of open-track lappers interested in taking the next leap in driving skill development. A highly-qualified Data Coach will work with you to utilize on-track data from your vehicle to reveal opportunities for improving your driving technique. In addition to personal 1-on-1 coaching, we provide an AiM Solo 2 data logger to use for the weekend at no extra charge. We are confident that you will see track performance gains that will rival modifications to your car costing thousands of dollars by improving the most important component in your car - you! Fee is $250 for 2-days of coaching. No money due at registration; we collect the fee (cash or check only) at the event. Only six AiM units available, so don't wait to sign up! Contact the ADC Coordinator for details and to reserve your seat.
WGI opens at 6:00 AM daily, with a mandatory Driver's Meeting for all at 7:30 AM each day. On-track sessions run from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM with an hour break for lunch each day. With the uncluttered schedule there is enough free time for students to maintain their cars and socialize with fellow driving enthusiasts at the event.
- Novice (Group 4): First-timers and beginners with less than three events (SLIP L1 – L2).
- Open Lapping: Pre-Approved Advanced students (SLIP L3 – L4)
- Open Lapping: Solo/Group S (SLIP L4 and up)
- Open Lapping: HPDE Instructors, licensed amateur club racers (SLIP L5 and up)
*SLIP (Skill Level Instruction Program) is a standardized system for evaluating and tracking a student's HP driving skills. Information about SLIP is available by downloading this document: SLIP Criteria 2016.pdf
Examples of daily schedules may be downloaded using the following links. This year's schedules may differ. Final schedules will be sent out to all attendees the week prior to the school..
2021 mixed Novice and open lapping Schedule June.pdf
On Monday and Tuesday, we will do our best to offer the following. However, the number and length of track sessions each day may be affected by breakdowns, adverse track conditions, or other situations.
- Novice Instructed: Four ~25 min. sessions per day.
- Open-lappers (including novice group instructors): Open Track format with breaks for the Novice Instructed run group
Novice Group Exercises
- Organized group driving exercises are done during the first 10 min. of one (or more) novice group sessions each day.
- The exercises, such as close-quarters side-by-side lapping, pair-wise "leap-frog" passing, and trail-braking with "late" passing into corners, are intended to improve passing skills, traffic management, and situational flexibility.
- Novice students attend three mandatory 30-45 minute-long classroom sessions each day, led by a senior instructor
- Advanced Data Coaching participants meet with ADC Coaches for data review sessions after each track session. ADC fee is $250 for a two-day program. Loaner AiM Solo 2 data loggers included.
Bonus Features (complimentary unless otherwise noted)
- GVC Driver’s Resource Center: The center of event operations. Helpful advice and assistance for all participants and guests
- Mechanical and technical services for your car available on-site from "The Little Speed Shop" (discounted parts and labor for participants)
- Tire, performance parts auctions, beer and swag courtesy of our generous sponsors (Covid-19 regulations permitting)
- Friendly and helpful staff to make this experience your “Ultimate Driving School”
Group S is GVC's "A-Solo" program, and is open only to upper-level experienced drivers who have successfully passed a checkout for the Group. Checkout for admission to Group S is carried out by the Group S coaching staff.
Drivers seeking admission to Group S MUST register as an "Advanced" driver using the "Group S checkout" option. This option is limited to 5-6 drivers at any given event. Once approved for GS, drivers are automatically pre-approved to register for Group S at future GVC events without the need for further evaluation. Drivers who do not pass checkout may drive in open-track for the remainder of the event if recommended by the Group S Lead Coach and permitted by the Chief Instructor.
Please visit the GVC website for complete details about our HP driving schools, including the Group S application procedure:
Registration and Fees:
- Members: GVC chapter members are afforded highest priority for slots at our events, followed by BMW CCA members from other chapters.
- Non-Members: Non-members are charged an additional $100 above member fees, and are last to be accepted from a waiting list. GVC will apply $58 of the non-member fee toward a one-year new (or renewed) membership in BMW CCA. Join the club today to avoid the $100 non-member surcharge! http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=new_member
- Registration after the deadline is only possible by special arrangement, and only if there are still slots available (call or email the Registrar: email@example.com).
- Fees (BMW CCA members; Non-members add $100)
- Novice Students (Group 4): $550 (Monday/Tuesday).
- Group S checkout applicants: $675 (Monday/Tuesday). BMW CCA members ONLY.
- Two days (Monday-Tuesday): $625
- One day: $350
- Novice Group Instructors (two days) $150 (sharing a vehicle: $75)
- Garage Bays:
- Novice Group Instructors: $50 (half-bay)
- Lappers and Novices: $75 (half-bay)
GVC Loyalty Reward
Sign up for all three WGI HPDE's, or 2 WGI events and the NYST, and get a $150 rebate after 3rd event!!
- Fees may be refunded or credited in full toward a future GVC HPDE ONLY if cancelation occurs before the cancelation deadline.
- No refund or credit after the cancelation deadline unless we can fill your slot with another driver.
The host hotel is the historic Seneca Lodge (http://www.senecalodge.com/) located at the upper entrance to beautiful Watkins Glen State Park off NY 329. The Lodge is famous for its food and racing heritage. The bar is notable for its collection of over 60 years of racing memorabliia, as well as an extensive selection of fine beverages. Another favorite place to stay very close to the track is the Falls Motel in nearby Montour Falls. http://www.thefallsmotel.com. These lodgings fill quickly, so make reservations early.
Many other accommodations are available in Watkins Glen, from cozy bed-and-breakfasts to the luxurious Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel.
Camping at the track: Not available.
Off-site camping: Available at nearby Watkins Glen State Park and other private campgrounds.
For more information, please consult our website: http://gvc-bmwcca.org/Info_About_Watkins_Glen