GVC Ultimate Driving School #109
The Advanced HPDE is the second of three GVC HPDE's at the Glen in 2021. This event combines abundant open-track time for instructors and solo-level drivers with intensive on-track and classroom instruction for intermediate-level student drivers on the theory and practice of high-performance driving.
- Open-lapping for Solo (GVC Group S or equivalent, SLIP* L4 and up), instructors, and pre-approved Advanced (Group 2, L3-4) students.
- Two-day Driving School for Intermediate students (GVC Group 3, SLIP L2-3), Saturday and Sunday
- Items of note:
- All standard BMW CCA HPDE safety protocols and passing rules will be in effect.
- Many choices for track time (and possibly special events) with one, two- or three-day registration options for every budget.
- Instruction is available by special arrangement for open-lapping drivers new to the Glen or otherwise in need a bit of help.
- If you are unsure whether you qualify for open-track, please contact the Registrar or a GVC Chief Instructor.
GVC offers Advanced Data Coaching to Solo/Group S and Advanced/Intermediate drivers, as well as Instructors, who are interested in taking the next leap in driving skills development. A highly-qualified Data Coach will work with you to utilize data from your vehicle to reveal opportunities for improving your driving technique. In addition to personal 1-on-1 coaching, we provide an AiM Solo 2 data logger to use for the weekend at no extra charge. We are confident that you will see track performance gains that will rival modifications to your car costing thousands of dollars by improving the most important component in your car - you! Fee is $250 for 2-days of coaching. No money due at registration; we collect the fee (cash or check only) at the event. Only six AiM units available, so don't wait to sign up!
Event Format: On-track sessions run from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Friday: Open-track for instructors, GVC Group 1 (Group S), A-plus (A-solo) drivers from other chapters/clubs, and pre-approved GVC Group 2 (Advanced) drivers*.
Saturday and Sunday: GVC Group 3 (Intermediate) students: Four 25 min. instructed sessions per day. All others: Open Track format with breaks for the Group 3 Instructed run group sessions.
Group 3 Classroom:
Track Schedule: Examples of daily schedules may be downloaded using the following links: Final schedules will be sent out to all attendees the week prior to the school. This year's schedules may differ
Three mandatory 30-45 minute-long classroom sessions each day, led by a senior instructor.
Advanced Data Coaching: participants meet with ADC Coaches for data review sessions after each track session. Available for $250 for Saturday and Sunday.
Bonus Features (complimentary unless otherwise noted)
- GVC Driver’s Resource Center: The center of school operations. Helpful advice and assistance for all participants and guests
- Mechanical and technical services for your car provided on-site by "The Little Speed Shop" (discounted parts and labor for participants)
- Tire, performance parts auctions, Beer and other goodies courtesy of our generous sponsors
- Friendly and helpful staff to make this experience your “Ultimate Driving School”
*Group S Checkout
Group S is open only to upper-level experienced drivers who have previously been checked out and approved for the Group. Admission to Group S requires a checkout by the Group S coaches. Once admitted to Group S, GS drivers in good standing may freely register for GS at future GVC HPDE’s without checkout.
Drivers wishing to check-out for Group S MUST register using the "Group S checkout" option. This is a three-day registration option limited to 5-6 drivers. GS checkout drivers are initially assigned by default to Group 2 (Advanced) to ensure they will have an instructor assigned to them for the weekend should they not pass GS checkout. Checkouts are typically done by the GS coaching staff on Friday morning. Once approved for GS, drivers are automatically pre-approved to register for Group S at future GVC events without the need for further evaluation. Drivers who do not pass checkout remain for Saturday and Sunday as open-lappers with the approval of the GS Staff and the Chief Instructor.
Complete details about our HP driving schools, including the Group S application procedure, may be found here:
Registration and Fees:
- BMW CCA Members: GVC chapter members are afforded highest priority for slots at our events, followed by BMW CCA members from other chapters. Non-members are charged an additional $100 above member fees. GVC will apply $58 of the non-member fee pay for a one-year new (or renewed) membership in BMW CCA. Join the club today to avoid the $100 non-member surcharge! http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=new_member
- Registration after the deadline is only possible by special arrangement, and only if there are still slots available (call or email the Registrar: email@example.com).
- Fees (BMW CCA members; Non-members add $100)
- Intermediate (Group 3)
- Advanced (Group 2): $630 (Sat./Sun). Friday open track add-on option for pre-approved* G2 drivers only: add $250
- Group S checkout applicants: $975 (Friday-Sunday). Group 2 (Advanced) drivers seeking admission to Group S, driving Friday as a tentative member of Group S pending a checkout ride. Drivers failing checkout are refunded/credited $200 for Friday. BMW CCA members ONLY.
- Group S (Solo), members ONLY:
- Group S weekend: $675 (Sat.-Sun., 5 track sessions)
- Friday open track add-on option: $250.
- Group S Friday open-track and Saturday only: $725.
- Group S Friday open-track ONLY: $395
- Instructors (includes shared garage access for the weekend):
- Friday - Sunday: $200. Includes Friday Orientation Day, minimum 3 sessions each day Sat and Sun.
- Fri - Sun., sharing a vehicle: $100
- Sat - Sun only (no open track): $150
- Garage Bays:
- Instructors $50
- Students (If available) $50 Purchase on site
GVC Loyalty Reward
Sign up for all three GVC weekend HPDE's or 2 WGI events and one NYST and get a $150 refund after 3rd event!!
- Fees may be refunded or credited toward a future GVC Driving School only if cancelation occurs before the registration deadline.
- No refund or credit after the registration deadline unless we can fill your run group slot with another driver.
The host hotel is the historic Seneca Lodge (http://www.senecalodge.com/) located at the upper entrance to beautiful Watkins Glen State Park off NY 329. The Lodge is famous for its food and racing heritage. The bar is notable for its collection of over 60 years of racing memorabliia, as well as an extensive selection of fine beverages. Another favorite place to stay very close to the track is the Falls Motel in nearby Montour Falls. http://www.thefallsmotel.com. These lodgings fill quickly, so make reservations early.
Many other accommodations are available in Watkins Glen, from cozy bed-and-breakfasts to the luxurious Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel.
Camping at the track: Not available.
Off-site camping: Available at nearby Watkins Glen State Park and other private campgrounds.
For more information, please consult our website: http://gvc-bmwcca.org/Info_About_Watkins_Glen