GVC Ultimate Driving School #109
Watkins Glen International
Looking for quality track time? Perhaps something extra? This is the event for you!
The Advanced HPDE is the second of three GVC HPDE's at the Glen in 2021. This event combines abundant open-track time for instructors and solo-level drivers with intensive on-track and classroom instruction for intermediate-level student drivers on the theory and practice of high-performance driving.
BMW CCA Club Racing Time Trials (Friday only)
BMW Club Racing Time Trials (TT) offers a competitive step up from driving school and Auto-X, but is not wheel-to-wheel racing. Any car that passes a driving school (HPDE) tech inspection may be used for TT. Extra safety equipment is always encouraged, but not required.
BMW CCA -TT is open to Solo (Group S or equivalent), advanced/upper-intermediate (GVC Group 2) students, and all driving school Instructors. Each driver's credentials will be screened before being accepted for TT.
TT participants get 3 private timed sessions. Similar to qualifying for a race, it’s all about your single fastest lap in a session. Time Trial cars are gridded by lap times in the previous session to avoid unnecessary overtaking.
Because TT is an add-on, the track remains open to TT participants between timed sessions for practice. This amounts to full day of track time.
Any registration package that includes Friday includes TT as an add-on option.
- Open-lapping for Solo (GVC Group S or equivalent, SLIP* L4 and up), instructors, and pre-approved Advanced (Group 2, L3-4) students.
- Two-day Driving School for Intermediate students (GVC Group 3, SLIP L2-3), Saturday and Sunday
- Items of note:
- All standard BMW CCA HPDE safety protocols and passing rules will be in effect.
- Many choices for track time (and possibly special events) with one, two- or three-day registration options for every budget.
- Instruction is available by special arrangement for open-lapping drivers new to the Glen or otherwise in need a bit of help.
- If you are unsure whether you qualify for open-track, please contact the Registrar or a GVC Chief Instructor.
Advanced Data Coaching is available to all lappers who are interested in taking the next leap in driving skill development. A highly-qualified Data Coach will work with you to utilize data from your vehicle to reveal opportunities for improving your driving technique. In addition to personal 1-on-1 coaching, we have a limited number of AiM Solo 2 data loggers to use for the weekend at no extra charge. We are confident that you will see track performance gains that will rival modifications to your car costing thousands of dollars by improving the most important component in your car - you! Fee is $250 for 2-days of coaching. No money due at registration; we collect the fee (cash or check only) at the event. Only six AiM units available, so don't wait to sign up!
Event Format: On-track sessions run from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Friday: Open-track for instructors, GVC Group 1 (Group S), A-plus (A-solo) drivers from other chapters/clubs, and pre-approved GVC Group 2 (Advanced) drivers*.
Saturday and Sunday: GVC Group 3 (Intermediate) students: Four 25 min. instructed sessions per day. All others: Open Track format with breaks for the Group 3 Instructed run group sessions.
Track Schedules: Will be sent out to all attendees approx. one month prior to the evernt
Bonus Features (complimentary unless otherwise noted)
- GVC Driver’s Resource Center: The center of school operations. Helpful advice and assistance for all participants and guests
- Mechanical and technical services for your car provided on-site by "The Little Speed Shop" (discounted parts and labor for participants)
- Tire and performance parts auctions, beverages, and other goodies courtesy of our generous sponsors
- Friendly and helpful staff to make this experience your “Ultimate Driving School”
*Group S Checkout
Group S is open only to upper-level experienced drivers who have previously been checked out and approved for the Group. Admission to Group S requires a checkout by the Group S coaches.
Drivers wishing to check-out for Group S MUST register using the "Group S checkout" option. This is a three-day registration option limited to 5-6 drivers. Checkouts are typically done by the GS coaching staff on Friday morning. Once approved for GS, drivers are automatically pre-approved to register for Group S at future GVC events without the need for further evaluation. At this event, drivers who do not pass checkout may remain for Saturday and Sunday as open-lappers with the approval of the GS Staff and the Chief Instructor.
Complete details about our HP driving schools, including the Group S application procedure, may be found here:
Registration and Fees:
- BMW CCA Members: GVC chapter members are afforded highest priority for slots at our events, followed by BMW CCA members from other chapters. Non-members are charged an additional $100 above member fees. GVC will apply $58 of the non-member fee pay for a one-year new (or renewed) membership in BMW CCA. Join the club today to avoid the $100 non-member surcharge! http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=new_member
- Registration after the deadline is only possible by special arrangement, and only if there are still slots available (call or email the Registrar: email@example.com).
- Fees (BMW CCA members; Non-members add $100)
- Intermediate (Group 3): $630 (Sat/Sun) only. Personal instruction (in-car and/or lead-follow, depending on COVID-19 restrictions), and classroom sessions both days.
- Advanced (Group 2): $630 (Sat./Sun). Lapping Sat. & Sun.; Friday open track add-on option for pre-approved* G2 drivers only: add $250
- Group S checkout applicants: $975 (Fri.-Sun.). Group 2 (Advanced) drivers seeking admission to Group S. Includes open-track Friday as a tentative member of Group S pending a checkout ride. Drivers failing checkout are refunded/credited $200 for Friday. BMW CCA members ONLY.
- Group S (Solo), members ONLY:
- Group S 2-day weekend: $675 (Sat.-Sun., 5 track sessions)
- Friday open track add-on option: $250.
- Group S Friday open-track and Saturday only: $725.
- Group S Friday open-track ONLY: $395
- Instructors (includes shared garage access for the weekend):
- Friday - Sunday: $200. Includes Friday Orientation Day, minimum 3 sessions each day Sat and Sun.
- Fri - Sun., sharing a vehicle: $100
- Sat - Sun only (no open track): $150
- Garage Bays:
- Instructors $50
- Students (If available) $50 Purchase on site
GVC Loyalty Reward
Sign up for all three GVC weekend HPDE's or 2 WGI events and one NYST and get a $150 refund after 3rd event!!
- Fees may be refunded or credited toward a future GVC Driving School only if cancelation occurs before the registration deadline.
- No refund or credit after the registration deadline unless we can fill your run group slot with another driver.
The host hotel is the historic Seneca Lodge (http://www.senecalodge.com/) located at the upper entrance to beautiful Watkins Glen State Park off NY 329. The Lodge is famous for its food and racing heritage. The bar is notable for its collection of over 60 years of racing memorabliia, as well as an extensive selection of fine beverages. Another favorite place to stay very close to the track is the Falls Motel in nearby Montour Falls. http://www.thefallsmotel.com. These lodgings fill quickly, so make reservations early.
Many other accommodations are available in Watkins Glen, from cozy bed-and-breakfasts to the luxurious Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel.
Camping at the track: Not available.
Off-site camping: Available at nearby Watkins Glen State Park and other private campgrounds.
For more information, please consult our website: http://gvc-bmwcca.org/Info_About_Watkins_Glen