Welcome to GVC's "Taste of the Track"
- Sunday, October 1, 2017
Have you ever thought about taking a HP Driving School on a world-famous racetrack, but for one reason or another haven't pulled the trigger? Maybe the opportunity never arose, or the timing was bad, or you think you don't have a suitable "track car". Maybe you just weren't willing to shell out $400 or more dollars in fees, let alone the cost of lodging and meals, to spend an entire weekend of your precious time at a driving school when you have no idea what a HP driving school is all about, or whether it's something you would actually enjoy doing.
Well, GVC has a program just for you!
Taste of the Track is a low-pressure, low-risk, and low-cost introduction to the sport of high-performance driving. Unlike a typical two-day HP driver’s school, it only takes up an afternoon of your time. You won't be shelling out for one or two nights in a hotel, a couple of days of meals out, or three or four tanks of fuel for your car. Because Taste of the Track is run on a Sunday afternoon piggy-backed onto one of our regular two-day schools, you will not only get to see a full-scale driving school in action, but also directly experience the thrill of driving with your own highly-trained instructor on one of the most famous race tracks in the world.
Taste of the Track begins with check-in and on-site tech inspection at 11:00 AM, followed by a meet-and-greet with your GVC instructor and driving school staff over complimentary lunch in the WGI Media Center. After lunch, you take a short guided tour of the track facilities and driving school paddock to see our "Ultimate" two-day driving school in action.
You and your fellow "rookies" then begin "ground school". First there’s a brief Driver’s Meeting (mandatory at all driving schools). Next, the group attends a classroom session specifically geared toward Taste of the Track first-timers. There you'll be introduced to the basics of car control and high-performance driving, and become familiar with driving school safety regulations and procedures.
After "ground school" the fun really begins! You will hop into your instructor's car for a short ride-along to familiarize you with the track layout and experience how a skilled, highly trained driver safely navigates at speed on the Glen’s historic 3.4 mile-long road course. Then, you will drive your own car with your instructor coaching you about where and when to accelerate, brake and turn according to the fundamental techniques of HP driving, all at a pace you are comfortable with. At the end of the day, we all reconvene in the classroom for a group debriefing session to share experiences with fellow drivers, instructors and staff.Complimentary perks include:
• Driving school event shirt
• Mechanical assistance should you need it, courtesy of Eksten Autoworks
• Loaner helmet (if you have one of your own, it must be rated Snell 2010 or 2015, SA or M).Schedule:11:00 AM
– Arrive at the track for check-in and on-site tech inspection (NOTE: on-site tech is simply to review your tech inspection form and verify that it reflects the current condition of your vehicle; a complete pre-event tech inspection is required). Bring completed pre-event tech and med forms, and your helmet (loaner helmets are available).12:00 PM
– Meet-and-greet with your instructors over lunch* in the Media Center cafeteria.
*Note: Buffet lunch is included in the price for ToT participants. Guests may purchase lunch for $12 (cash at the door). 1:00 PM
– Tour of the driving school paddock1:30 PM
– Driver’s Meeting: Track rules (passing zones, passing technique, point-byes), flags and their meaning, getting your car ready for the track (tire pressures, wheel bolt torque, etc.).2:00
– Classroom session2:45
– Comfort break and vehicle staging3:00
– Familiarization laps with your instructor 3:15 - 3:45
– On-track driving with your instructor, with you at the wheel4:00
– Debrief with instructors and staff
Taste of the Track is open to licensed drivers over 18 years of age. GVC BMW CCA membership is not required for this event.
For more information about our driving school program, please use this link to the GVC website: GVC Driving SchoolsEvent Requirements:
Vehicle and driver requirements are detailed at http://www.gvc-bmwcca.org/Event_Requirements_DrivingSchoolGVC Tech form: GVC Tech Form 2017
Tech form supplement: E36 E 46 POWER STEERING HOSE Tech Advisory.pdfGVC Emergency Medical Forms:
Form: GVC Medical Info form 2016.pdf
Envelope: Medical Info Form Envelope.pdf